A weekend fire put a popular West Palm Beach restaurant out of business for a long time.
An electrical fire ravaged the kitchen of “This Is It Cafe” in the Northwood neighborhood early Sunday morning.
“We were so lucky that someone saw the smoke and called the fire department! It could have been much worse! said a post on their Facebook page.
Owner John Biederwolf said the flames climbed a wooden beam in the restaurant.
No one was injured in the blaze, but the business also suffered smoke and water damage. The food preparation area is now covered with black ash.
Biederwolf said he was waiting for an estimate to see how much damage was caused by the fire.
“Fortunately the fire department got here quickly, and they managed to contain the worst of the damage,” Biederwolf said.
Biederwolf has said he wants to reopen the restaurant, located at 24th Street and Spruce Avenue, as soon as possible. They are already receiving help from the community.
“I had two guys here earlier. They said, ‘If you need drywall or supplies.’ People have offered me financial help, ”Biederwolf said.
Two months ago, the restaurant was also damaged after a car nearly drove through the front of the business.
“I feel like they have a dark cloud hovering over them right now. First they crashed, now a fire,” said client Joann Cline.
Despite the setbacks, Biederwolf still considers himself lucky after someone saw the smoke on Sunday morning and called for help.
“As far as I know, it was just a walking angel, and the fact that this person picked up the phone at 2:30 am and called the fire department… luck,” Biederwolf said.
A GoFundMe page has been created to donate and help homeowners with bills and monthly expenses.
Scripps content only 2021